Friday, July 4, 2014

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument

One of the prettiest signs I have seen
I couldn't resist one more stop on my way home: Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument. 

Namesake Tent Rocks
This is a more obscure National Monument because it is operated by the Bureau of Land Management. In most cases, the only way I know to find out about BLM National Monuments is to see them on a map. Thank goodness I have a National Parks Atlas - it lists all the good stuff. 

Hoodoos and tents
That's how Caty and I found Canyons of the Ancients years ago. 

Caty at Canyons of the Ancients, 2006
Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument, 40 miles southwest of Santa Fe near Cochiti (the main town in the Cochiti Pueblo), became a National Monument in 2001. 

New Mexico has the bluest skies
Kasha-Katuwe means "white cliffs" in the Pueblo language Keres. But, these "cliffs" aren't just cliffs. 

Hoodoo-topped cliffs
It's a surrealistic, bizarre landscape that must be seen to be believed.

Top of the mesa
The area owes its remarkable geology to layers of volcanic rock and ash deposited by pyroclastic flow from a volcanic explosion within the Jemez Volcanic Field that occurred 6 to 7 million years ago. 

You can see the pumice here
Over time, weathering and erosion of these layers created canyons and tent rocks. 

A variety of shapes and sizes
The tent rocks themselves are cones of soft pumice and tuff beneath harder caprocks that look like huts or towers. 

These remind me of African mud huts
They vary in height from a few feet to 90 feet. The strange shapes are remarkable. 

Reaching to the sky
The area is also sprinkled with obsidian, also formed by the blast. 

I photographed it, but didn't keep it
It was very hot when I got there and, because I supposed to be home already, I decided to just take the short loop trail. But, as I ended it, I saw a sign that said "slot canyon 300 feet." So, I decided to take a look. 

View from the slot
Wow, a phenomenal slot canyon. 

A fun walk
I started walking and ended up doing the entire three-mile hike through the canyon to the top of the mesa.

Trail to the top
A really great hike that I would like to do again. At five hours from home, not that unreasonable. Then, I drove home. 

There is so much to see ...
What a great trip. Retirement is great.

... and so little time

Trip Date: June 7-13, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment