Saturday, March 28, 2015

Road Trip: Tonto, Phoenix, Tonto

Tonto National Monument
So, this is the part of my trip where my desire to see EVERYTHING and my GPS's inability to calculate travel time got me into a little trouble. I decided that, if I were quick, I could make it to Tonto National Monument and back to Jeanne and Hal's by 6:00 p.m. 

Tonto is reached by a spectacular drive east of Phoenix that winds through canyons and past some copper mines. The National Monument overlooks Roosevelt Lake, which is formed by the Theodore Roosevelt Dam on the Salt River.

Tonto consists of two 700-year-old ruins of cliff dwellings set in a beautiful canyon. The lower ruins can be reached by a short walk up the hill from the Visitor Center. 

Visitor Center
The upper ruins can be seen from a pull-out about a half mile before the turn-off to the national monument. I didn't know that, so didn't see them on the way in and did not have time to go back and see them as I left.

When I arrived, I knew I had very little time because I had to get back to town. The ranger told me that I needed to take my long lens and water for the hike up, so I rushed back to the car to get geared up. I then went back into the Visitor Center to stamp my National Park Passport and start the hike. I rushed up the paved trail, which winds past desert vegetation.

Trail
I quickly toured the ruins, which had 12-rooms built into a cliff. There was also a grinding stone, one of many artifacts found in the dwelling.

Left, ruins; Right, grinding stone
The structure, which was occupied for more than 100 years is only a half a mile from a spring. Currently, the trail to the spring is closed.

The ruins are in a beautiful setting
Then I rushed back down (I didn't need the long lens or the water, so that was wasted time).

Here's where I made my mistake. My GPS indicated that I could make it back in time if I went north and took the Apache Trail. This is a road that I last drove about 25 years ago when it was narrow, winding and dirt. I figured that it must have been improved. It hadn't. And, it took an hour longer than estimated to drive. And, I was driving as fast as you possibly can on a rutted, often-one-lane, winding 22-mile-long dirt path with sharp curves, steep drop-offs and slow drivers. I had no cell service, so I couldn't even let Jeanne and Hal know that I would be late. Unfortunately, because I was in such a hurry, I couldn't take pictures or enjoy what really is spectacular scenery.

When I finally reached a point where I had cell signal, I pulled over to call Jeanne to let her know that I was late. I had a message from Tonto. I had left my National Park Passport there! 

Disaster!
That is one of my most prized possessions. I figure that it fell out of may pack as I was getting ready (in a hurry) for my jaunt up the hill. I called back, but they were closed. So I left a message that I would call in the morning to make arrangements to get it back. As horrified as I was that I left the Passport behind, I was also so thankful that the ranger had called.

I then called Jeanne and let her know that I was late (so rude) and rushed on my way. I did, however, have to stop once when I rounded a corner just as the sun dipped below the clouds to illuminate Canyon Lake. 

One of my best-ever photos
The glorious moment lasted exactly three shots ...

A quick photo
... and was gone ...

Just before the light left
I finally made it to Jeanne and Hal's. We had a wonderful Mexican dinner and then they showed my pictures from their recent trip to Africa. I am considering going soon and will probably take the same tour or similar. They saw so many animals; it was really inspiring. Plus, it was so great to see old friends. It has been too, too long.

The next morning, after saying goodbye to Jeanne ...

Me with Jeanne
... her lovely house ...

Great desert landscaping
... and the dove that is nesting in the cholla in her front yard ...

So sweet
I called Tonto to make arrangements for them to mail me my Passport Book. I was going to the Grand Canyon because Scott had said he would like to meet there as we both headed home. Plus, I wanted to make a few stops on the way.

But, with Tonto's limited abilities to ship overnight, I decided not to risk losing the Passport. So, I drove back to Tonto. I was glad I did. I got to see the upper ruins. 

I got to photograph the lower ruins with fewer people. 

A better shot
And, I got my book back.

Thank goodness!

Trip date: March 7-14, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment