Saturday, March 21, 2015

Road Trip: Chaco Culture National Historic Park

Another road trip? 

My kind of road
Why not? 

Scott had decided to go to Las Vegas and Death Valley with a friend to enjoy some warm weather and play a little golf. Why should I sit home when I could knock off another national park (and a few more national monuments)?

More places to check off
First, a word about that: Yes, I really do want to be able to say I have visited every national park. I am very close, so it really makes sense. I don’t think I’ll ever get to the every national monument/national seashore/national historic place/etc./etc. point because there are too many, they are constantly being added and – I just found out – some are not accessible. But, with only 59 national parks, the goal is within reach. At the beginning of the trip, I had nine to go.

Passports
So, I planned a road trip with my primary goal being Joshua Tree National Park in California. With all the cold and snow we’ve had in Colorado, I was also envisioning some downtime, lying by a pool in Arizona. But, I didn’t lay out a specific plan.

I headed out with my first stop planned: Chaco Culture National Historic Park in northwestern New Mexico. 

A remote Park
I have visited most of the NPS sites in New Mexico, by Chaco has always been just a bit too far. So, I made it a first goal.

Chaco is not easy to reach. I couldn’t leave until afternoon, so I drove from Colorado Springs to just north of Albuquerque for the night. As I drove, I left snow and gray and entered sunshine (still cold, but bright). I even worried that Chaco might be difficult to reach because the forecast was sub-freezing at night.

Luckily, the 135-mile drive was dry and sunny. Most is nice highway, but after the turnoff, there is eight miles of paved and 13 miles of dirt road. The last five miles was very rough, including crossing a wash that had a few inches of water running across it and a quarter-mile section that was so rutted, I had to carefully dive on the tops of the ruts. I should have taken a picture, but I was afraid that if I stopped, I would get stuck.

As a result, the park is relatively empty. And, when I arrived the weather was glorious – sunny, cool-turning-to-warm.

Chaco Culture National Historical Site is a partially excavated ruin of a major series of communities that were the center of the ancient Chaco culture about 1,000 years ago. 

Ancient ruins
The ten sites sit in the middle of Chaco Canyon ...  

A wide valley crossroad
... and, based on the more than 400 miles of carefully planned ancient roads leading into the canyon from all directions, this was the epicenter of a much broader civilization spread cross northern New Mexico. Six of the sites are situated along a nine-mile paved loop road and are easily walkable. 

Map: GORP
The others are fairly close and can be hiked to. Because I was on a mission, I didn’t really have time to hike, so I just visited the ones along the road ...

Una Vida 
Hungo Pavi
Chetro Ketl
Pueblo Bonito (the only fully excavated ruin)
Pueblo del Arroyo 
Casa Rinconada
The Chaco culture began in the mid-800s and lasted about 300 years. They used masonry techniques unique to their culture to build large, multi-room, multi-story structures. 

It was interesting to see the way they built walls ...

Brickwork
... and to see beams that are over 1,000 years old ...

Beams
Not to mention some of the striking natural features of the canyon ...

Amazing that this is still standing
Some buildings had hundreds of rooms; larger than any other settlements ever found.  Although there is evidence the buildings were planned from the start, some took decades – or even centuries – to build.  The oldest are Pueblo Bonito ...

An amazing site
and Una Vida …

Up on a hill
More recent are Hungo Pavi and Chetro Ketl ...

Different kinds of excavation
Many of the buildings are oriented to solar, lunar and cardinal directions and all the sites have multiple kivas. 

You can see two kivas
Although many are remarkably preserved, some have had to be shored up to protect them from further decay, some are surrounded by rubble ...

A variety of excavation styles
And, many remain unexcavated to protect them.

Because the site was a major gathering place, archeologists believe the buildings were more like public places than farms. 
Art in the way this eroded
Artifacts indicate that multiple clans converged and that the site is important to the development of the Navajo nation. They also believe climate change eventually lead inhabitants to move on to areas such as Mesa Verde to the north.

In addition to impressive ruins, there is also a walk along the back cliffs highlighting a number of petroglyphs.

Ancient messages
As I said, the park was not crowded – but, there were other people there. Some looked to be day-visitors like me and some were camping (I wondered how they got some of the vehicles down that road) and many were hiking. Still, I spent my time at most of the sites alone – except for the hawk that joined me at Chetro Ketl.

Red-tailed Hawk
When it came time to leave, I put my next destination in my GPS and headed back the way I came because my atlas indicated only one access road. I passed a road sign pointing the other direction and my GPS kept telling me to turn around. So, I asked the ranger, who indicated that there was another dirt road that was rough, but driveable. Despite the scary sign …

Okay .....
 … I took it. It was better than the road in and cut off quite a bit of time as I headed toward my next waypoint. My objective was to make it to Flagstaff, Arizona, for the night.


Trip date: March 7-14, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment