Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Road Trip: Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

At the bottom of Arizona on the border with Mexico lies an absolutely beautiful park: Organ Pipe National Monument. 

Most of the cacti were not Organ Pipes
Reaching it is somewhat a lesson in the political climate of Arizona regarding immigration. I passed through two border patrol stations and I would estimate that every third car I passed was a police car. Plus, once you reach the park, you receive multiple warning flyers about border activity. But, as intimidating as the drive is, it is worth the trip.

I only had the one afternoon to visit the park, so I asked the ranger at the visitor center for his suggestion. He said that the 21-mile Ajo Mountain Loop is a "must see," and that the much-longer Puerto Blanco Drive doesn't often anything different. So, I headed out on the Ajo Mountain Loop, which is predominantly a one-way dirt road that winds through the desert and up a mountain (with a lovely surprise).

The road up the hill
Organ Pipe, which showcases the Sonoran Desert, was in its glory. The Sonoran Desert is the most diverse desert in North America, home to more than 4,000 species of plants and animals. It differs from other U.S. deserts because of its relative lack of frost and its very short rainy seasons. Mountains create a number of distinct habitats.

A distant spire
It looks like the masterpiece of a desert landscape artist. 

It looks landscaped
The Park is, obviously, named for the organ pipe cactus, which is relatively rare in the United States. In fact, the park protects almost its entire U.S. range. The organ pipe isn't easily seen on the drive in. In fact, I was thinking to myself as I drove down the main road and began the Ajo Mountain Loop that the park should have been called Saguaro National Monument because it is filled with spectacular specimens of the iconic Sonoran cactus. But, as I drove the loop, the organ pipe finally came into view.

Saguaro and Organ Pipe
It grows on sunny slopes and blooms in May, June and July -- at night. That's a sight I would like to see some time. It takes 35 years for an organ pipe to reach maturity and bloom -- that gives you an idea of how fragile this environment is and why protection is so necessary.

A special place
It gets its name from the long pipe-shaped branches.

The first Organ Pipes I had seen
The Park is also a haven for cholla ...

Chollo
... ocotillo, some of which were in bloom ...

Pretty cacti
... barrel cactus (in the foreground), prickly pear ...

Barrel, saguaro and prickly pear
... and lots of desert bushes and flowers ...

A pretty hillside
As I drove up the mountain and rounded the corner, I was rewarded with a view of Arch Rock, which sits at the top of the back of Arch Canyon. That's the surprise, which probably wouldn't have been a surprise if I had more carefully read my map.

An unexpected arch
It certainly capped off a beautiful drive. The Park is home to many animals; Javelina, Bobcats, Foxes, Coyotes, Owls, Mule Deer, Cottontails, Packrats and many birds. 

Let's go thataway
Unfortunately, I didn't see any in the Park. 

I did see what I think was a very red Coyote (it could have been a Mexican Wolf, but I doubt it) after I left the park and was driving toward Tucson through the Tohono O'Odham Indian Reservation.

According to Park literature, as recently as 25 years ago Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument was shrouded in smog from a nearby copper smelter. Although the smog is gone, the effects have not yet been totally reversed.

It was a lovely afternoon and then a long drive to Tucson.


Trip date: March 7-14, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment