Sunday, March 22, 2015

Road Trip: Joshua Tree National Park

On the road again, California or bust. I left Flagstaff headed toward Joshua Tree National Park. It’s a 5+ hour drive that goes from high desert along the southern edge of the Grand Canyon (although not close enough to actually see the canyon) along the old Route 66. 

Arizona
I took a little detour off of I-40 along the real Route 66 that goes through Peach Springs, where I stopped for a picnic lunch. There is a road that goes to a beach along the Colorado River, but it requires a $30 tribal permit to drive, so I passed it by. The scenery was interesting and it was a good break from interstate driving.

Then, back to the Arizona/California border and the dry, hot Mojave Desert. 

Mojave Desert
I took the turn-off to Joshua Tree, only to find the road blocked by police cars … so back on to the interstate to the next exit, which was also blocked. Fortunately, the third was open. I never did find out why.

I arrived at Joshua Tree in the early afternoon, which gave me time to do an evening drive-through of the Park.

Joshua Tree!
The Park, at the juncture of the Mojave and Colorado deserts of California, is named after the very odd Joshua Tree, which looks like the child of a cactus and an oak tree, but is actually part of the orchid family. 

One big orchid!
The north part of the Park is in the Mojave and that's where you find the Joshua Trees. Fortunately, I had chosen to stay on the north side, primarily because there were hotels listed as close to a park entrance (there are three -- Yucca Valley, Twentynine Palms and Cottonwood Springs). 

Small ones look like cacti, big ones like trees
I was in Yucca Valley, which is closest to the "best" entrance. Twentynine Palms is also on the north side. Cottonwood Springs is on the south and has less interesting scenery and the town seems to be much smaller.

The Mormons named it Joshua tree because its shape reminded them of a Biblical story in which Joshua reaches his hands up to the sky in prayer.

Some of the trees, which are also called yucca palms, are huge. The really big ones look like trees; the short ones look like cacti.

They can be huge
The Joshua tree has a hairy bark made up of curly fibers ...

Up close, it looks more like a cactus
... with large flowers when it is blooming ...

A big, papery flower
The Park also features dramatic granite geological formations that look like something out of the Flintstones.

Interesting shapes
There are even scary rocks ...

Skull Rock
Anyway, after some evening photography, I went back, slept a few hours and then got up early to see sunrise.

Watching the sun rise
The trees and the rocks in the sun
Then, I ventured to the south side of the park, where the Joshua Trees fade out, and are replaced by forests of cacti ...

The cholla forest is amazing
... a huge area of chollas, often called "jumping chollas," because segments "jump" off and are carried by the wind to take root ...

At the right is a momma with her offspring
Although not as many, there were also ocotillos ... 

They have pretty red flowers
... and prickly pears as well ...

Brilliant blooms
I spent the next two days seeing the park in varying light ...

Morning
Mid-day
Afternoon
Evening
Night
... enjoying the interesting place names ...

Fun!
... seeing some Coyotes (I couldn't photograph because a Ranger scared them off) and a California Glossy Snake ...

Why did it cross the road?
... watching rock climbers ...

Up on the top
... and playing with my GoPro (watch here) ...

A beautiful Park
And, now, I have only eight more Parks to go.

A great visit

Trip date: March 7-14, 2015

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I have been here after reading your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete