Saturday, June 25, 2016

Southwest Excursion -- The Way Home

I originally intended to drive all the way home from Gila Cliff Dwellings in one day -- and I could have. But that would have been a long day! So, I decided to stop in Santa Fe on the way home so I could be a bit more flexible.

After I got on the Interstate coming out of Gila Cliff Dwellings, I decided to drive through Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, which I had visited in February to see Sandhill Cranes (click here to read about it). I knew there would be no cranes, but I thought I might see some other birds -- maybe even ducks on the lake. With my new lens, I would be able to get better shots. Immediately, I saw a Ring-necked Pheasant. Score! I have seen them before, but never gotten a picture.

A male Ring-necked Pheasant
As I snapped the picture, I realized that the Pheasant was in the lake, which was not a lake, but rather a field. Bosque del Apache is on agricultural land with a vast system of canals with floodgates. I guess they make a lake in the winter for the birds and then let it dry up in summer.

Where is the water?
There are still lakes and canals, but this Western Painted Turtle was heading away from the lake to the field! Maybe he was confused, too.

Western Painted Turtle
I drove around the entire area, looking for wildlife. There wasn't much for a NWR, but I did see some Mule Deer ...

Doe, a Deer
... A Snowy Egret (see, there is water!) ...

Very regal
... a raptor that I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. When I got home, I found out that it was a juvenile Harris's Hawk. I know they live in the Southwest, but I didn't expect to see one in Central New Mexico. That's pretty exciting.

Who knew?
And, of course, there was a Great Blue Heron. There always is!

A common, but beautiful bird
Then, I just drove and drove until I got to Santa Fe (a newer part, not the cool part) and I passed out at the hotel. I was exhausted.

The next morning, I left early so that I could go to Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, one of the nation's new national monuments -- designated in 2013. 


A new place, but could I find it?
I, unfortunately, trusted my GPS, which I discovered about 10 miles too late was routing me to the wrong side of the National Monument. So, I had to turn around and drive to the east side, where the entrance is.

Wrong way!
Managed by the Bureau of Land Management (as opposed to the National Park Service, which administers most national monuments), Rio Grande del Norte National Monument is approximately 242,000 acres and includes two recreation areas, a portion of the Rio Grande designated as a Wild and Scenic River and the Red River Wild and Scenic River.

The Rio Grande
It includes portions of the Taos Plateau volcanic field, cut by the gorges of the Rio Grande and the Rio San Antonio and several volcanic peaks, the tallest of which is over 10,000 feet high. The park road skirts the edge of the gorge, where you can see churning whitewater.

Whitewater
The plateau itself is high desert with pinyons and sagebrush. There are many overlooks and trails that go down to the river and to springs near the river.

Trail on the plateau
It is not a heavily visited park. The Visitor Center is open only Thursday - Sunday, so it was closed when I was there. I just walked around a bit and looked at the river from various overlooks.

The river gorge
There were a variety of birds, as well. I could not capture the soaring Cliff Swallows, but did get a shot of other birds ...
Mountain Chickadee
American Kestrel
Pinyon Jay
The La Junta Overlook at the end of the road provides a great view of the confluence of the two rivers. There is a relatively short trail there to the bottom. I was tempted to hike down, but I really didn't have time (and it was warm -- not as hot as southern New Mexico/Arizona, but warm enough.)

Way below
The National Monument's main purpose is to protect a wild and scenic portion of the Rio Grande, which has it beginnings in Colorado and then flows through New Mexico and Texas, forming the border with Mexico. Rafting trips are available in Rio Grande del Norte.

A view from above
I had wanted to check out this new National Monument. Scott and I had even discussed camping there. Having visited, I think I'd rather camp in the cool mountains just north of the New Mexico border. But, I was glad I made a stop.

Green banks

Trip date: June 10-14, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment