Friday, June 24, 2016

Southwest Excursion -- Gila Cliff Dwellings

As I prepared to go home, I headed for Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument. It is located in the Gila Wilderness on the headwaters of the Gila River in southwest New Mexico -- not a place you would happen upon. You have to being going there to get there.

Cliff Dwelling
The park was established in 1907 to protect the remains of a Mimbres Culture community. It features interlinked dwellings within five cliff alcoves above Cliff Dweller Canyon. I am a big fan of cliff dwellings (in their natural locale, not transplanted like the ones in Colorado Springs). So, I have visited many in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. This was a nice, but small, one.

A wall under the arch
The Mogollon (pronounced MUG–EE-AHN) Peoples built the Gila Cliff dwellings some time between 1275 and the early 14th century. It is believed they lived in the cliff dwelling for only 30 years or so.

A large dwelling
Archaeologists have identified 46 rooms in the five caves on Cliff Dweller Canyon, and believed they were occupied by 10 to 15 families. 

Nice view
No one knows why the people migrated to this area, but they were probably driven there by drought and they may have left because of worsening drought or invasion. 

The dwellings are in a canyon
... near the Gila River ...

The river provided water for the people living there
It’s a 45-mile drive from Silver City, New Mexico, up SR 15, a winding, but well-maintained road to the park. I had decided to hit it on my way home because it looked like the drive would take awhile and driving back south just didn't make sense. It was a good plan.

A curvy drive
I wouldn't recommend taking a large vehicle on 15. It is better to come in on 35 from the east with a trailer or RV.  That's the drive I took out. The drive in on 15, which took about 90 minutes, was very pretty and, on the day I went, traffic free.

Butte
After I arrived, I went to the Visitor Center. To reach the ruins, I then drove about a mile and a half to another area ...

This way
.... and hiked a mile-long loop trail with several footbridges over a stream ...

The walk
The day was warm, as evidenced by this turkey vulture cooling himself across the canyon.

Was he or watching us?
You can walk through the ruins by yourself or go on a tour with a ranger. I started by myself, but quickly caught up with a tour. I learned and saw things I wouldn't have had I not stuck around to listen to the ranger.

Ruins
Local Native Americans were aware of the location of ruins, but when white men found the spot, they trashed the ruins so severely that artifacts were difficult to catalog. In the early 1900s, the Act for the Preservation of Antiquities, commonly known as the Antiquities Act, set aside land that contained prehistoric and historic ruins by executive order. So, the destruction was ended.

A big archway
Although the dwellings are built in the Mogollon style, they have a T-shaped doorway, which was an ancient Pueblo convention. The Mogollon people were known for frequent contact with other tribes and it is believed they copied this design element from another group.

Distinctive door
The ruins are in excellent condition, due to the dry climate. 

Inside
There are some cave drawings on some of the walls that you have to crane your neck to see (I wouldn't have seen them unless the ranger had pointed them out).

Drawing
When you finish touring the ruins, you can walk around to pick up the trail, but it’s more fun to climb down the ladder to the trail.

Some climbing is involved
The ruins are interesting and the setting lovely, but they are not as spectacular as Mesa Verde – and they are definitely difficult to get to.

Simple beauty
I would recommend the trip only for National Park or cliff dwelling junkies.

Final look up
On the wildlife front, I didn’t see much – lizards …

Plateau Lizard
Gila Spotted Whiptail
 There were also lovely Prickly Pear flowers ...

A pretty desert flower
 ... and a giant swath of forest that was destroyed in a wildfire in 2011 ...

Fire damage
I am glad I went because I like the variety of the dwellings and I enjoy going to obscure places. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

A good stop
As I was driving northeast to connect with the Interstate, I saw a gorgeous agave plant in bloom.

I have never seen these yellow flowers before
They were beautiful.


Trip date: June 10-14, 2016


3 comments: