Thursday, March 22, 2018

South Texas – Rockport


Whooping Crane
As I mentioned, the volunteer at the Aransas NWR Visitors Center told me that I might be able to find Whooping Cranes near Goose Island State Park in Rockport. Not knowing exactly where to go, I went to the Park, where the ranger gave me directions to a cow pasture (private land) at the end of the island that is a popular stopoff for both Whooping Cranes and Sandhill Cranes. I thought that was very nice because the park has an entrance fee; basically she was telling me not to pay.

On the way to the Park, I passed lots of debris …

The legacy of Hurricane Harvey
And even more ghostly landscapes of ruined docks in the fog ...

Ruin everywhere
This area was hit very hard by Hurricane Harvey and looks like it will take quite a while to put everything back to rights.

Even though I was anxious to see the Cranes in the failing light, I couldn’t request stopping to photograph a ghostly Great Blue Heron atop a ruined pier …

Ghostly
There were a number of Northern Pintails, floating and feeding around the docks ...

Not ideal birding weather, but good proximity
Courting?
It’s very easy to see how Pintails got their name: they have striking sharp, long feathers at the ends of their tails. And, both males and females have them.


These beautiful ducks can be found all over the U.S., but I am not sure I ever heard of them or noticed them before I started taking bird photos (this is true for most ducks, except maybe Mallards).

On this foggy morning, the males seemed to be trying to attract the females’ attention. They were succeeding (somewhat) as they dove, twirled and danced.

Whooping Cranes
When I found the pasture (I think I could find it again, but I sure can’t place it on a map), there were several other photographers there, but most of the birds were way off in the middle of the field.

And, once again because it was foggy, it was impossible to get any clear shots. But, I saw two Whooping Cranes a bit closer to the fence, so I decided to get out my tripod to try for the best shots possible.

The tallest bird in North America, the Whooping Crane stands up to 5 ft. tall with a wingspan of 7 ½ ft. That's one huge bird.

Chart: Birds of North America
Whooping Crane populations shown on the map above are the Aransas/Wood Buffalo population (AWP), the Louisiana population (LP), the Eastern Migratory population (EMP) and the Florida (FP) population. 

Trying to take off
One of the two crane species found in North America (the other is Sandhill Cranes, which were also present in the pasture), the endangered Whooping Crane is named for its whooping sound.

Formerly Whooping Cranes were more widespread in the prairie wetlands of the north central United States and southern Canada

In 2003, there were about 153 pairs of Whooping Cranes – wild and captive – worldwide! Thanks to intense conservation efforts, that number is now up to almost 800 – still a very small number. 

They can be found only in a few areas of North America and a large number of them migrate far north in the summer. 

Succeeding
So a sighting is a pretty big thing. 

The second I set up the camera, the two Whooping Cranes took off. But, it wasn’t a lost opportunity because, when a Whooping Crane takes off, it’s a very slow process. Lots of running and intense flapping.

So, I got a nice series of photos as they lumbered directly toward me, flapping furiously until they lifted off and wheeled away. I wasn't sure if they were going to get off the ground before they hit the fence.

I was hoping that they would fly directly over me, but they turned and landed behind a farm house. I stuck around, hoping they would come back, but no Cranes ever came close again. Luckily, I did get some nice shots before they disappeared.

Gone, just like that!
Other Birds
So, I had to concentrate of birds very far away and the middle of the pasture.

Other pasture birds
There were Roseate Spoonbills …

A closer look
 Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks …

A lifer!
And assorted Long-Tailed Grackles,  American Coots and Northern Shovelers way too far away. 

I did get some pictures of some Sandhill Cranes …

So graceful
They are always willing to put on a show ...

Dancing
 And, a nice little video of some mating behaviors …


Flora
Nearby, there is a display of “The Big Tree,” one of the most famous live oaks in the world after being named "Texas State Champion Virginia Live Oak" in 1969. 

A local attraction
The tree retained that title until 2003 when a larger oak was discovered in Brazoria County, Texas, thus reducing "The Big Tree" to one of the largest live oak specimens in the U.S rather than the largest. Fortunately, "The Big Tree" escaped Hurricane Harvey’s wrath. According to climatologists, "The Big Tree" has survived 40-50 major hurricanes, as well as floods, droughts and wildfires.

"The Big Tree" is a species of oak called Quercus Virginiana that can be found from Texas to Florida with its range extending northward to Virginia. The common name is the live oak, but includes the names southern live oak and the Texas live oak, as well. Live oak growth rate and size vary by location. The largest examples tend to grow further inland, while live oaks in coastal regions are usually smaller. Therefore, the size of "The Big Tree" makes it a rare specimen for a coastal location.

Impressive
The Texas Forest Service estimates the tree to be over 1,000 years old, while other recent estimates place it nearer to 2,000 years old. It has a circumference of more than 35 feet and is more than 45 feet tall, while the crown's spread is 90 feet. As you can see, posts support its massive branches.

After viewing "The Big Tree,” I headed back to my hotel as the rain picked up. The next day, I was headed back to Corpus Christi where I would spend the night before leaving for home.

Sandhill Cranes

Trip date: February 6-11, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment