Thursday, August 25, 2016

Grand Teton

Grand Teton National Park
Sorry it’s been awhile since I have posted the next segments of my trip, but two of the down (and up) sides of my type of travel is that I have no time to sit and type and no (or very bad) Internet for posting much of the time. It may be awhile after this one (or the next) as well. But, rest assured, they are coming.

Mormon Row
So, after Yellowstone, we moved down to Grand Teton National Park. Where Yellowstone has always brought wildlife — especially Grizzlies and Wolves — to mind, Grand Teton has always been about the scenery. 

Mountains and lake: ahhhh
I believe the view of Mount Moran and the three Tetons is one of the prettiest in the world. 

It truly does not get better than this
Of course, as I think about it, Teton has always been better for Moose and, on my last two trips there, I did see both Black and Grizzly Bears. Plus, I had seen a number of posts on Front Range Wildlife Photographers of Great Grey Owls in south Teton. I would really like to see a Great Grey — and that can’t happen in Colorado. Unfortunately, it didn't happen in Grand Teton, either.

Mule Deer at the cabin
Caty and I stayed a Dornan’s Spur Ranch, a new place for us. We were very happy with the choice. We had a one bedroom cabin with a full kitchen. Caty slept in the bedroom and said it was the most comfortable hotel/cabin bed she had ever slept on. I slept on the sleeper couch in the living room and it, too, was very comfy. 

Dornan’s is in a little complex on the Snake River just at the edge of the park. It has gas pumps, a very good pizza/sandwich restaurant (we got take out pizza the first night), a deli/grocery store, a chuck wagon dinner restaurant (we had intended to go one night, but it never happened) and an office for Barker-Ewing float trips. Plus, in the early, early morning, we had a visit from a doe and her two fawns.

Dornan’s is close to Moose-Wilson Road, which in the past has proven to be a bonanza for wildlife.

I am not going to detail the trip step-by-step or in chronological order. Rather, I will say Grand Teron was a big disappointment in the large animal department. No Bears. No Moose. We did see a smattering of Bison ...

A nice place to graze
... and a mother Pronghorn with her two babies ... 

You don't see a lot of baby Pronghorn
My burgeoning interest in bird photography was a big help on this trip because we did see a variety of birds.

Cedar Waxwing
Red-naped Sapsucker
Male Belted Kingfisher
A Western Tanager that would not look my way
A number of Violet-green Swallows that also liked to look the other way
Several Ospreys
A mama northern flicker with her (almost grown) chick
Some juvenile Mountain Bluebirds
For much of the time, the smoke from nearby forest fires interfered with what is normally spectacular views. This is becoming more and more of a problem each year as temperatures rise and fires increase. We were rather surprised that, despite the haze, we were able to get some gorgeous pictures of Tetons and Moran reflecting on Jackson Lake 

Surprise!
Caty and me
… and of the barns on Mormon Row …

Such a great view
I actually think the less popular Moulton Barn is the prettiest…

My favorite
… which is lucky because when we arrived at the second barn (the one with the corals), there were two photographers back in the field behind the walkway taking pictures. I politely waited until the one near me looked up from his camera with the intent to walk quickly to the other side of the walkway to get my shot. I took two step and he yelled, “Stop!.” He wasn’t polite. He didn’t ask if I could wait. He just told me to stop. I guess next time I want a picture of Old Faithful, I’ll just tell the 1,000 or so folks there to get out of my way!

I should have said no, but instead, I just left. The shot wasn’t as good as Moulton anyway, so why argue? Still, arrrrrgggghhhh.

Most photographers are accommodating
One night, we took the sunset float trip on the Snake River. It’s a great time to go for animals, but a challenge for photography. The combination of waning light and a moving (rather briskly moving) boat, makes good shots almost impossible.

Still, we had to go
But, we did see quite a bit of wildlife — mainly Beavers (lots) and Bald Eagles (lots). We also saw Grouse, Killdeers and Mergansers. No Otters. No Moose. No Bears. Still, it was very pleasant and we did see Beavers ...

Entering the water
... lots of beavers ...

Swimming
... and Bald Eagles ...

A juvenile landing
We must have driven Moose-Wilson Road a million times looking for Owls, Bears and Moose. But, we saw only birds and Mule Deer. 

Mule Deer fawn
As the days wore on, the sky got smokier and smokier, so one day we decided to drive back us and go to the Grand Prismatic Spring — see my next post to read about that.

Even though the animal sightings were low and the air smoky, we had a great time and we will return. 

Aphrodite Fritillary Butterfly
We always do.

Love this place

Trip date: July 30-August 5, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment