Sunday, October 4, 2015

September in Alaska #11 -- The Charge

One of the most exciting things we experienced at the Silver Salmon Creek Lodge was a charging bear. Yes, albeit a curious rather than angry charge, it was a charge.

As we were walking across the field between the beach and the lodge, we saw the orphan ...

Just minding his own business
... which then stopped to regard us ...

Whatcha lookin' at?
... then, he started toward us, as first tentatively and then more aggressively ...

I have never had a Grizzly approach me before
When he started to trot, I moved closer to Dave, who seemed unfazed ...

Closer and closer
The Orphan grumbled and ducked his head multiple times as he approached ... 

Bluff behaviors ... or was he serious?
... when he was about 10 ft. away, he stood up ..

Yikes!
... I was a little frightened, but very excited. Then the bear came closer and Dave had to shoo it off (which took several sharp comments and arm waves). For a moment, I thought it might get bad ...

Side-eye
... but, the Orphan turned ...

Buh-bye!
... and reluctantly left ...

It was over, just like that
After the bear retreated, I was bemoaning the fact that I forgot to shoot a picture when he stood up, when I looked at my camera and realized that I DID get the shot. 

Heck, let's see it again:

Great shot!
But – and I always make this mistake – while I was looking at my camera, I missed a few shots that Scott got. As he was departing, the orphan stood up for a few parting gestures – all of which looked like Kung Fu moves. 

Drat, missed it; Photos:Scott Stevens
It was amazing. Later, Dave said he had never seen the Orphan be that aggressive! 

OK!


Trip date: September 10-21, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment