Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Bucket List Biggie – Return to Iceland


Kirkjufell in the evening
As I mentioned when I started the series, I like to plan my long-distance trip with as quick and direct flights as possible. And, I like to visit places I have not been before.  My original itinerary had us going through London, but I just wasn't feeling it. I love London, but it's a crowded big city. It did not seem to be the best way to end a trip to the arctic.

I was using American Airlines miles, so I did a lot of searching. 

A waterfall on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula
I discovered that American Airlines had a direct flight from Reykjavik to DFW (the route one must take to Colorado Springs). SAS (the airline we were using in Europe) flies from Tromsø to Reykjavik, so it was a simple change. We were set for an adventure in Iceland (and a relatively quick trip home).

This did break one rule: I have visited Iceland three times before. But, it seemed like the right place to go at the end of this trip. I have also blogged about Iceland before, here, herehere (a series) and here (another series).

A church on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula
This time, I set up a quick agenda to visit the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, where Caty and I had visited, but Scott hadn't. 

Typical Icelandic view
Since Caty and I went in winter, I expected this to be different for me as well.

View from Ólafsvík
In my previous posts, I talked about some peculiarities of customs and immigration in Norway. The trip to Iceland was particularly interesting. Scott dropped me off at the airport in Tromsø for our (very) early morning flight to Reykjavik while he returned the rental car. Since I had so much luggage, I thought I would check mine in immediately and then help Scott with his when he arrived. 

After looking around a bit for SAS, I finally found a kiosk where I could get my boarding pass. I pulled out my passport, prepared to scan it and entered some initial info. The machine immediately spit out all of our boarding passes without asking for ID. I guess nothing was required at that point. The ticket agent wasn't there yet to check luggage, so I waited until Scott arrived. Then, I wheeled all the bags to the counter, passports in hand, ready to check the luggage. The agent took my boarding passes and checked the four bags WITHOUT looking at the passports. OK, next checkpoint maybe?


Enjoying the scenery as I left Norway
The airport security gate had a barcode scanner that I assumed would require both my boarding pass and passport. NOPE. Just the boarding pass. 

Then, through security for a thorough inspection of my cameras, but no look at my passport. 

And, then we were on the plane without anyone looking at an ID. 

Maybe when we arrive in Oslo, where we would change planes?

We got off in the international terminal in Oslo and did not have to pass through any checkpoints before getting on the plane to Iceland. We did have to scan our boarding passes, but not our passports.

No one wanted to see them
When we landed, Scott and I were first off the plane and when we reached the end of the walkway, entrance to the terminal was blocked with a marquee rope and a door to the side was locked. We assumed we would be directed through the door to immigration. 

We waited, as a line formed behind us, until our flight attendant and a Reykjavik gate agent had a chat and the agent removed the rope. Perhaps we were in an international terminal and would pass through immigration on the way out. 

I did walk BY an immigration desk, but nothing indicated we had to go THROUGH it. On to baggage claim. Perhaps there? Nope. We got out bags and walked into the terminal and then out into the sunlight. 

Three airports, two planes, two countries. No ID. Weird.

As I was flying in (obviously not being suspected of being suspicious), I was able to get some video of the flight in (here) and some very nice views of the island.

Coming in over the South Coast
Ironically, Iceland is an island and the name in Icelandic is Island, pronounced Ice-land and meaning Ice Land, not island. Make sense?

Anyway, Iceland is a relatively new landform, born of volcanic activity and sitting exactly where the North American plate intersects with the Eurasian plate. The fault is clearly visible, both from the ground and the air. As are the remnants from past volcanic eruptions ...

Volcanos and the fault line
When we arrived in Reykjavik, we needed to pick up our rental car and head north about three hours to Ólafsvík. Piece of cake, right?

Nope. I had booked our rental car through Thrifty, which is off-airport, so we needed to take the rental car bus. 


Lots of companies for one bus
The ONE bus that goes to all off-airport rental car agencies. 

The ONE bus that had a line a block long waiting for it. 

The ONE bus that did a complete circuit before picking up the next load. 

The ONE bus that we had to watch load and leave twice before we could get on. That's an hour there.

Then, there was Thrifty. I had rented from them in Iceland before and knew the staff wasn't particularly quick. I was not prepared to be third in line and still have to wait over an hour before I even made it to the counter. I wasn't prepared to watch whatever was happening with the people in front of me who were, I assume, having Thrifty build them a custom car for their party of 12 or more, including several very badly behaved children. I mean, when your child RIPS the chained pen holder out of the counter that you are letting him sit on, shouldn't you at least make him get down (and stop kicking the counter)?

So, never again, Thrifty. I'll use SIXT, the company I used in Tromsø.


Snæfellsnes Peninsula
But, now to the good stuff. The volcanic past becomes far more pronounced on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, a 55-mile-long arm that juts west into the Atlantic Ocean.

Map: Google Maps
At the end is Snæfellsnes National Park, which features the 700,000-year-old glacier-capped stratovolcano named Snæfellsjökull that is often regarded as one of the symbols of Iceland and is also known as the setting of the novel Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. With its height of 4,745 ft., it is the highest mountain on the peninsula and it has a glacier at its peak (jökull means "glacier" in Icelandic). 

A crater in front of Snæfellsjökull
By the way, Snæfellsnes means “Fortress of Fire.” Appropriate when you look at the lava that spewed across the entire peninsula. In August 2012 the summit was ice-free for the first time in recorded history. While we were there in June, it still had a small covering of snow.

Snæfellsjökull at sunset
The last time I saw Snæfellsjökull, the mountains were completely covered in snow. 

Winter, 2015
So, I was surprised at how extremely volcanic the non-covered part looked. It literally looked like a lava flow.

The mountain looks like an active lava flow
I was also surprised – and Scott was disappointed – at how brown everything was in this part of Iceland. It reminded me of Nome, Alaska, where the sedges and water grasses turn a deep golden in the late fall.

The grasses turn coppery in the summer
There were, however, a few wildflowers here and there; you just had to look to find them.

Icelandic flowers
Ólafsvík; Photo: Wikipedia
We stayed in Ólafsvík, a cute little town with a small harbor where Láki Tours offers Whale-watching trips. Caty and I went with them back in 2015 (except, we went out of their winter harbor in nearby Grundarfjörður). 

Even though Caty and I didn't see any Whales on that trip, we liked the company and the people. 

Both Caty and I follow them on Facebook and see lots of whale sightings and variety. But, back to that later.

We didn't spend much time in town, but rather we used it as our base to tour the Peninsula.


Ólafsvík from the water
While in town, we did eat (twice!) at a food truck called the "Secret Spot" that had reasonably good fish and chips and insanely good "Secret Fish Soup."

Delicious
Made with a few veggies, a few tomatoes, broth, a little bit of cream and very fresh cod dropped in at the last minute, it was steamingly hot and oh-so-yummy. We have made it at home twice (with Alaskan halibut) since we got back. 

Oh, and I also had a famous Icelandic hot dog there (actually two – during both stops). I had had a hot dog at a convenience store in Iceland on a previous trip and wasn’t very impressed. This was different. Yummy. And, dressed in the Icelandic manner: raw white onions, crispy fried onions, ketchup, sweet brown honey mustard called pylsusinnep and remoulade sauce. Messy but good.

We never made it all the way around Snæfellsnes National Park, because Scott just wasn’t into it. There are many things to see there, but I had visited them before – and this was a short trip. We did, however, visit some of the lava flows and a waterfall.

A waterfall in front of Snæfellsjökull 
And, Scott photographed a very animated Icelandic horse. I have written about these unique creatures before; read it here. They look less unique in the summer without their heavy winter coats.

Smile! Photo: Scott Stevens
Kirkjufell
Kirkjufell
Twice, we visited Kirkjufell, which is Icelandic for “church mountain.” It got its name because some thought it resembled a church and the mountain next to it, Stöðin, is said to resemble a congregation hall. I don't really see it.

Danish sailors, who frequently visited this area during the early whaling days, called it "Sukkertoppen" or the Sugar Top. Maybe, when it snows ....


Kirkjufell and Stöðin in winter, 2015
Located just outside of Grundarfjörður, Kirkjufell is a conical 1,500 ft. mountain that is famous as a foreground for Icelandic Aurora Borealis. It is claimed to be the most photographed mountain in the country and was a filming location for Game of Thrones (remember the "Arrowhead Mountain" that the Hound was looking for?).

Photo: Wikipedia
When Caty and I visited, we stayed close to Kirkjufell, hoping to see Aurora there, but it was cloudy. This time, we knew it would be too light. We visited in late evening and very early morning, getting lovely reflections and, in the morning, mist rising off the nearby stream. See it here.

Morning mist
It truly is a special place. 

Kirkjufell
Maybe someday I can see Aurora there. Maybe. But, I was happy with the summer visit.

Photo: Scott Stevens
 Across from the iconic mountain is Kirkjufellfoss, the mountain’s equally iconic waterfall.

Me at Kirkjufellfoss (outside without a jacket!)
They last time I saw it, it was partially frozen and covered with plates of ice. 

Kirjufellfoss ice in winter, 2015
This time, it was delightfully summery.

Kirkjufellfoss is one of three waterfalls, all with the same name, on the Kirkjufellsá River
We walked around, taking pictures from every angle ...

Kirkjufellfoss with summer flowers
... and even found an Arctic Char Fry ... 

Look at those green eyes!
The day was actually warm! Warm in Iceland! Imagine that.

Stykkishólmur
Stykkishólmur
While on Snæfellsnes, we visited Stykkishólmur, a place I had not visited before. The town was founded by danish sailors in 1550 because it was a good location for a port. 

Boat with a convenient spelling reminder
Stykkishólmur is named after the small island located in front of the harbor, which is named Stykkið, which means "piece" and is pronounced who knows how. 

Today, Stykkið is artificially connected to the mainland to better protect the harbor.

The largest businesses in Stykkishólmur are fishing, tourism and Heilbrigðisstofnun Stykkishólmi, a hospital run by nuns.

When Caty and I went to Iceland in January 2015, we were originally going to take the ferry from Stykkishólmur to the Westfjords region of Iceland, but the weather did not cooperate (terms like “worst roads in Iceland” and “impassable” made us rethink our plan). So, we never made it into town.

Stykkishólmur, built around a natural harbor by Danish and Norwegian merchants, is the largest town on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. It has 1,200 residents.

Stykkið looking out over Breiðarfjörður
Located on a promontory overlooking Breiðarfjörður, Iceland’s largest fjord (actually so big and open that it is a bay), Stykkishólmur is both a terminus and a stopover from small – and not so small – cruise ships.

A Hurtigruten Cruise Ship (a Norwegian line), Leaving the harbor
It was such a pretty day when we were there, I wished I had planned a longer stay with a trip on that ferry to Westfjords. I always wish I had planned a longer stay!

Breiðarfjörður looking toward Flatey
On the way back to Ólafsvík, we encountered a few more Icelandic Horses, including a colt. 

Icelandic Horses
Birds
While visiting all the sights, I also saw a couple of birds, including a new one, the cute little Ringed Plover ...

Ringed Plover
And, even cuter, a baby Eurasian Oystercatcher …

Eurasian Oystercatcher Chick
Attended by its very observant and protective parent …

Eurasian Oystercatcher
I also saw more Common Redshanks ...

Common Redshank
Red-necked Phalaropes …

Red-necked Phalarope
Whimbrels …

Whimbrels: Adult and a Chick hidden in the grass
White Wagtails …

Juvenile White Wagtail
Common Eiders …

Common Eider Hen and Ducklings
Northern Fulmars …

Northern Fulmar
Purple Sandpipers …

Purple Sandpiper
And, some very vocal Black-legged Kittiwakes nesting on a cliff-side …

Kittiwake conversation
That’s a lot more than I saw last time I was in Iceland – in mid-winter, where only Whooper Swans, Eiders and Snow Buntings are around.

Whooper Swan, Common Eider and Snow Bunting
Sunset!
One of the highlights of out visit was sunset. Yes, an actual sunset! Most of Iceland sits below the Arctic Circle, so it never experiences the midnight sun. It does, however, come close.

This sunset was the first one we had seen since arriving in Svalbard two weeks earlier. Scott wanted to try some night sky photography, but, although the sun did set …

Actual sunset!
... it never really got dark. Between the 11:56 p.m. set and the 3:05 a.m. rise there was a deep twilight, but no actual dark.

Cormorant enjoying twilight
But that twilight was magic. 

A lovely evening
Also magic was our Whale watch – that will be my next post!


Trip date: June 15-July 4, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment