Sunday, May 21, 2017

Bosque del Apache

On our route home from southern Arizona, Scott and I swung by Three Rivers Petroglyph Site, which I just covered in a recent blog and then we stayed overnight in Socorro. So, I was able to take a quick drive through Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, which I have also written about in the past.

A pretty day in the bosque
May is a little late for abundant wildlife presence. The Sandhill Cranes are gone and many of the lakes are drained. 

Lake view
But, in May, it is still pretty and there is some wildlife.

My advice: if you want to really appreciate Bosque del Apache, go in the winter when you can see the Sandhill Cranes, the massive flocks of Snow and Ross' geese and the many different ducks.

Any other time, stop by if you are nearby. You never know what you'll see. Here's a sampling ...


Great-tailed Grackle
Great-tailed Grackle
Double-crested Cormorant
Black Phoebe
American Avocet
Female Ring-necked Pheasant
Male Ring-necked Pheasant
Great Egret
And some serene vistas ...

So lovely
I know, I know, I didn't impart much information here. Just some pretty pictures. 

You're welcome.


Trip date: May 3-8, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment